a 'pay-what-you-want', workshop where you can . . .
your integrity or spending a fortune).
Can't make it to this event?
WHEN: Thursday, Nov 14th (6:30 – 9:30pm), Friday, Saturday & Sunday, Nov 15th - 17th (10:00am – 6:30pm)
COST: Pay what you want at the end of the weekend (with a hundred dollar deposit).
SPACES REMAINING: 26
I want to invite you to come and join us for the “Radical Business Intensive”.
It’s a content-rich, roll-up your sleeves, nuts and bolts workshop. You'd pay at least $1700 for it anywhere else. It's all about how you can grow your business and attract all of the right kinds of clients. But instead of paying $1700, you pay whatever you want to pay (at the very end of the workshop).
Seriously. This is a pay-what-you-want weekend (based on what you can afford). No big catch.
In general, here's who the Radical Business Intensive is for . . .
- Perhaps you are selling a natural, eco-friendly, cruelty-free or otherwise healthy product . . .
- Or you’re in the Healing Arts or a Holistic Practitioner? (perhaps you’re a Therapist, Massage Therapist or Body-worker, Yoga Instructor, Herbalist, Shamanic Practitioner, Life-Coach, Meditation Teacher etc.) . . .
- Are you a local business owner that just plain cares deeply about your community, nature and social justice? (maybe you run a Yoga Studio, Eco-Friendly House Cleaning company, an Organic Farm, a local Theatre Company, a Fitness Studio, a comfy, little locally owned Bookstore, a groovy local Restaurant, an Eco-Store, a Pottery shop or a Natural Health-Food Stores etc.)
without selling your soul?"
Too much marketing (even by savvy, conscious entrepreneurs) creates either no response or seems “over-hyped” and triggers a “used car salesman” reaction. So . . .
How do you market your products without compromising your principles? How can you make sure your marketing gets a positive response and creates warm feelings of trust? Better yet - how do you have your ideal client chasing YOU down, instead of you chasing them?
That's what this weekend is about. But, before I tell you more about the workshop, I'd like to tell you about the . . .
I don’t know. It may not be. But, I do know a way you can find out. Why don't you check out the FREE Stuff page and, if it feels like it’s all a lot of review, then this weekend may not be a fit. You may just need to implement the stuff you already know.
But, if you can honestly answer “Yes!” to some of the following questions, then this event may just be what the doctor ordered . . .
- Are you needing to attract more clients and increase your cash flow (and quick!)?
- Are you good at what you do but you don’t LOVE the thought of marketing?
- Is the following statement true?: You know that if you could really articulate what you do to enough of the right people you’d have more than enough clients.
- Do you suspect that you are undercharging? Do you feel like what you’re offering is worth much more than what you are charging but you don’t know how to ask for more money? You might be trapped in a win/lose game. You lose and your clients win.
- Have you been secretly "intending" to give your marketing more time and focus . . . but uhhh . . . just haven't seemed to get around to it? Do you want to take the next step in your marketing but you aren’t sure where or how to start and you want someone just to say, “Here, do this first.”
- Do you want to market more but are secretly terrified of seeming “pushy” or coming across like a salesperson? Do you find yourself wondering, “How do I effectively sell my products without compromising my principles? How do I actually sell my services without selling my soul? How do I expand my business in a way that doesn’t feel forced?” You're flat out never going to to use the manipulative and high pressure tactics that feels so awful to you. But . . . what do you do instead?
- Ever mail a promotion that got little or NO response? Do you suspect that no one’s reading your ads? Are you spending a lot of money just to get your name "out there" and have come to the conclusion that “Advertising doesn’t work.” Do you feel like you’re throwing your hard earned money down the toilet?
- Do you know that you need to have a customer or prospect database but still haven’t gotten around to it? Is your customers contact info still on scraps of paper in the corner of your office?
- You secretly know (and try to hide the fact) that your business is all over the place. It doesn't run efficiently, effectively or smoothly.
What you will get from this workshop:
- your kick ass 500 or so page Radical Business Intensive workbook (printed on 100% post consumer, FSC certified paper) divided into over 10 focused, profit producing sections
- a tonne of stories, case studies and examples about the most successful green entrepreneurs around North America (and how they did it while others failed).
- direct, personalized feedback from me on your business and why it's not working as well as you'd like it to. I predict you will get a lot of clarity about where you're at (and where you're not yet clear).
- direct, encouraging and honest feedback from 19 other conscious entrepreneurs on how you describe your business and on your written marketing materials (this will happen multiple times in multiple ways throughout the weekend).
- how to create marketing that is fresh, inspiring, deeply based in integrity and an expression of your values (and inspires people to action vs. just looking pretty)
- the simple secrets to taking any and all hype out of your marketing (e.g. remove any and all exclamation marks, be cautious in your use of ALL CAPS, never demonize the competition, be wary of using absolutes 'this always works for everybody!')
- the chance to be a part of a lot of really good and in depth conversations about your business and the direction it's going with other folks who are outside of it (and can likely see it far more clearly than you can).
- why you may actually need to relax, rewind and slow down in order to grow your business - Marketing is like baseball - it's not just about a field full of people with the best equipment throwing and hitting balls - it's about knowing the rules and the structure of the game. It's about having a plan. Most entrepreneurs are trying to skip bases. They actually trying to make things happen too fast.
- an invitation to join us on the Saturday night at the Green Grub and Gather where you, the other participants, some of my favourite local alumni and other leaders in the green business scene come together to mingle and network. I predict that you will make at least one new, significant business contact there.
- why advertising in local new age & holistic magazines may be a total a waste of money (hint: most of the ads placed there are terrible, dull, basically people's business cards, with no 'call to action' and many of the magazines are largely read by other practitioners - not necessarily the niche you're wanting).
- a simple thing you can do to make sure an ad will has a strong chance of success before you ever spend a dime (it will take you less than 15 minutes, is totally free and you won't believe you never thought of it yourself)
- how to describe what you do to people in a way that they 'get it' versus saying, 'wow . . . that's really . . . interesting . . .' with glazed eyes. How to say in such a way that your dream clients looked at what you are offering and said, "Oh my god! That's amazing. I can't say no to this. I'd be a fool to walk away from what they're offering."
- profit producing, business building, good vibe resources you can check out that can help you grow your business (i promise you that you have never heard of most of them but will be absolutely over the moon to explore them)
- whether or not you need to choose a niche
- the three must-have criteria of a good niche (without which your business will likely fail)
- a secret so powerful that - if successfully applied - could double the number of people who say yes to working with you (and at least increase it by 10%)
- how you can make more money selling other people's products to your list than you do in your own business
- some thoughts on how to use (and how not to use) facebook and twitter
- the three criteria by which any offer you ever make will be judged
- the importance of being able to clearly and emphatically articulate the experience of your clientelle
- how you can get great testimonials from your clients (even if you've never been able to do so before)
- how you can get your clients talking about what you do (without spending a lot of money)
- an introduction on how to have heart based selling conversations with your clients - instead of trying to 'promote your services (plus, I'll tell you exactly where you need to go to get 'ninja level skills' at this).
- how to craft an irresistible offer to your clients
- why you need to not only make your business irresistibly attractive to your clients but to your self.
- the results of my secret survey where i asked people to share their 'Holistic Practitioner Horror Stories' (the results may surprise you). This will be the first time I will be sharing these results.
- We'll explore how to use your business website (and if you don't have one - how to create one for free or cheap)
- how and why you might want to create a whole website (for free) for any workshop that you ever lead
- how to use talks and presentations to grow your business
- how to use gift certificates and free sessions in a way that grows your business (instead of killing it and wasting your time).
- the keys to successfully setting up, filling and promoting your workshops
- why partnership and collaboration must be the basis of how you do everything.
- the three mission-critical criteria of a good 'hub' or 'partner' (miss any one of these and it's likely to be a lame experience for all involved)
- some thoughts on working and partnering with non-profits and charities (in a way that advances their mission and gets your a return on investment)
- why throwing bomb-ass parties for the right people may be the best thing you can do to grow your business
- what you can learn from companies like Lululemon and Mountain Equipment Coop
- why the whole slant of marketing is moving away from 'generalized mass marketing' to 'focused tribal marketing'
- how you can grow your business by building community around your business
- why the word of mouth you're getting is likely only 'passive' (and how by making it active you will start getting a tonne more business)
- the three secrets to powerful, consistent and business building word of mouth marketing
- a simple thing any business can do to add 10% more straight profit to their bottom line without very little extra effort (you could likely start doing it within a month at the most - possibly tomorrow)
- where you may be able to find thousands of dollars of windfall profits you've just been leaving on the table (and yes, it's entirely ethical).
- how to develop an email newsletter that kicks ass, people read and that makes you money (and I'll tell you which online services I most recommend)
- the importance of developing Pink Spoons for your business (e.g. free samples, you go to an incre cream shop and they let you sample flavours with those little pink spoons) And how to do this without killing the profitability of your business and giving away the store.
Eight resources I suspect you need to grow your business (whether or not you get them from my workshop - make sure you find them):
RESOURCE #1: Proven Material - I’d have a lot of nickels if I got one for every time they told me that they learned marketing at University and it was useless in the real world. But where do you find stuff that works?
There’s so much material out there.
After all, if you do a google search for “Marketing Consulting” you’ll find that there’s about 14 million listings. Sales consulting is a bit better at 11.4 million. And what of “green business marketing consulting”? 1.62 million. Where are you supposed to start? It’s overwhelming.
How do you know what’s good?
The material you will learn at the RBI is not theory. It’s not abstract pontifications. It is carefully handpicked material gained over the past five years of reading dozens of books, attending countless workshops (many of which cost me thousands of dollars).
I’ve done this all so that you don’t have to.
Many have people have paid many thousands of dollars for the same materials.The corporate elite pay hand over fist for this material. No joke. The thousands of dollars they pay per hour for marketing coaches is based on the same material you will be learning.
But, you won’t really believe me on this or really “get it” until one of two things happen: first - you actually apply it and the money starts flying into your bank account or second - you go to another marketing training where you pay $2000 upfront and . . . it’s all the same stuff. If I had a nickel . .
The RBI is a weekend
long, foundation setting marketing workshop for conscious, community
minded entrepreneurs. You will focus on the basics. The core elements
of marketing. This weekend is about strategy, more than tactics
(although your materials will have lots of tactics in them). It is really an in-depth introduction to the core principles and questions of marketing. I designed the RBI based on my understanding that you can only build as high as you go deep.
And again - why not check it out for yourself - it's on the house - just click here and check out my FREE Stuff.
RESOURCE #2: Tough Questions - you will have the opportunity to ask yourself some tough questions about your business.You may have some uncomfortable moments that cause you to squirm a bit. We will raise up questions that speak directly to the root of many of the problems you are facing.
They may not “feel good” now but the answers you come up with will feel wonderful. If you’re up for sitting with some uncertainty in order to take the next step in your business then this may be for you.
RESOURCE #3: Expert Guidance - You need direct, honest and clear feedback on your marketing. You need someone you can ask questions to about YOUR business and get some candid reflections. You need honest feedback on what you’re offering and how you’re offering it. It all starts: before you even show up to the weekend, you will send me a one page description of your core, bread and butter product and service. I will read it over and send you back my candid reflections with encouraging and specific suggestions on how to make it even clearer and more compelling. I will have you write down your target market on an index card which I will review and critique. I will be with you all weekend to hold your hand, answer your questions and give you direct feedback on your plans.
RESOURCE #4: Examples - You don't need more theory. You need to hear examples of how those theories have worked for real people in the real world. Dozens of them. You need stories and case studies. You need to hear and read so many that the principles become living, vivid principles you can easily imagine applying to your own situation.
RESOURCE #5: A Clear Diagnosis - You need an overarching understanding of why your marketing has or hasn't worked in the past. You need to know where you're strong and where you're weak. Where you're on track and where you're off track. You need a MAP. You need a tour guide.
Again - this starts before you show up to the weekend: you will be given a copy of my core business diagnostic, “The Horrible Hundred”. This 20 page beauty has earned me rave reviews from clients over the years. Inside of thirty minutes you will know exactly where you’re strong and where you’re struggling.
RESOURCE #6: Safe Space - while you will almost certainly experience moments of discomfort, you won’t ever, ever be made to feel that you are stupid, lazy or inadequate. Our intention is to create a safe space of incredibly mutual support. After all, we’re all going through the same problems.
RESOURCE #7: Space - You need to take some time away from your business. You need some time to work ON your business, not just IN it. You need to think ABOUT it. You're likely caught up in just getting through your to-do list. Almost held hostage by your own business. The only way out of that is to make a break and get some space.
RESOURCE #8: Peers - You need to be surrounded by peers who share your values so you don't feel so alone. And so you can get outside (but aligned) perspectives.I think you need a chance to hang out with other conscious entrepreneurs: imagine it - 30 hippies in one room! The event is a lot of fun. Everyone is so committed to helping everyone else. You're just going to meet fabulous people. You should be able to find some exciting cross-promotion opportunities if you’re even half trying. Whether or not you find like minded entrepreneurs at this weekend or elsewhere - make sure you find some.
You'll probably get the best ideas from people from totally different industries. You’ll be shown ways of marketing that are totally new for you and your industry. I can guarantee you’ll have at least 6 moments of saying to yourself, “Wow. That’s so simple. Why didn’t I think of that?”
If you’re looking for a quick fix, this isn’t for you. But - this weekend will help you to understand the possibilities and the limitations of marketing.
This isn’t about easy, no-effort-required answers. There’s no magic pill but there is a magic process. There is effort involved. Often times what is holding you back has nothing to do with marketing. Sometimes there are deeper issues at work.
It’s about asking the right questions. It’s about giving those questions time. My goal here is to raise up a lot of questions. We won’t have time to answer them all. If you leave the weekend with more questions that you came in with we’ll have succeeded. I want to help you see not only where you’re clear but where you aren’t.
This is a long term, foundation laying approach.
There’s no hard schedule (sometimes it's a two and half day event and sometimes three and a half) - but here's a rough outline of what to expect:
- THURSDAY NIGHT: The Way of the Radical Business - This night serves as an overview for the weekend. It will give you a bird's eye view of the whole gamut of marketing strategies you can explore. You can get a sneak peak of some of the content we'll be covering by checking out the FREE Stuff page.
- FRIDAY MORNING: Identifying Your Niche. Who are you choosing to target? The ‘niche’ is the basis of the whole weekend. Everything we do will be built upon it. During this phase, you will be invited to identify a niche to work with over the weekend. You will get individual, focused coaching from me on the creation of this niche. Much of this is covered in the Niche Workshop you now have access to.
- FRIDAY AFTERNOON - SATURDAY MORNING: What is your Irresistible Offer? In this phase we will look at what you could offer to your niche that would be absolutely irresistible. Most people make the critical mistake of designing their product and service first and then plunking marketing onto the top of it. Instead, we need to start with marketing and ask ourselves questions like, “What do they want? what don’t they want? What’s most important to them when buying what we sell? What’s important not just about the product or the service but about the experience that surrounds the purchase? What frustrates them about our industry? What risks do they perceive to doing business with us? Here you will learn the elements of what makes a great offer including 12 “offer intensifiers” that can be added to any offer to make it more compelling.
- SATURDAY AFTERNOON: What are your hubs?
Where can you find your niche? People always ask me where they should
be advertising. But the answer depends 100% on who your niche is.
Luckily for you, finding out where you can reach your target market is
pretty easy. In fact, there’s only really 7 kinds of hubs and there’s 9
criteria of your ‘perfect hub’.
- SUNDAY MORNING: How to Become a Hub - On Sunday morning we'll explore the question, "how can you build your business by building community around your business?" How can you not only build status but stature in your community? How can you not just get a bigger slice of the pie - but make the pie bigger for everyone? How can you not only be an advocate for your clients but also a force pushing for your own industry to get better?
- SUNDAY AFTERNOON: Word of Mouth Strategies - how do you get your current prospects and clients spreading the word about what you do. If you do the first three strategies, then you are well ahead of 99% of your competition. You are set up to market yourself in extremely low to no cost ways. This final step looks at the age old question of word of mouth and referral marketing. You will learn the difference between active and passive word of mouth and also the 4 mains strategies to achieve it.
- WRAP UP: Sunday ends with an open Question and Answer session to make sure we catch any questions that have gone unaddressed. And then we spend a bit of time talking about the money and payment to make sure it's clear and comfortable for everyone. And then, in the last seven minutes, you pay me whatever you want to pay me by putting your four cheques in an envelope and we all leave.
You are invited to a full weekend under nine, unbelievably risk free conditions:
- CONDITION #1: You pay me nothing before you come
- CONDITION #2: Get over $500 worth of materials
- CONDITION #3: Pay what you can.
- CONDITION #4: Only cool businesses allowed.
- CONDITION #5: Only about 30 people allowed.
So, that’s it. If you have any questions, feel free to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org otherwise I hope to see you there.
Founder - Marketing for Hippies
P.S. REMEMBER: There are only about 30 spaces available per event. If you’d like to join us at our weekend day Radical Business Intensive (worth $1693) for whatever you want to pay (you get decide that at the end of the weekend) and you get over $500 worth of marketing materials - then just click below . . .
p.p.s. For a more full description on the content
of the weekend just visit the FREE Stuff page.
is a hippy who developed a knack for marketing.
Despite years in the non-profit and activist world, he finally had to admit he was a marketing nerd and, in the end, he became a marketing coach for hippies. Maybe it was because he couldn’t stand seeing his hippy friends struggle to promote their amazing, green and holistic projects. Maybe it was because he couldn’t keep a 9-5 job to save his life.
Whatever the reason, for almost a decade, he has been touring his marketing workshops around Canada, bringing refreshing and unorthodox ideas
to conscious entrepreneurs and green businesses that help them grow
their organizations and businesses (without selling their souls). And, over the years, he has become recognized as a leader in the wider movement towards green and local economies.